(Not) your average med student.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The thing about med school (or any dream for that matter) is that on your way there, it's really easy for you to say you want to give up. You feel that this isn't what's for you and that maybe, nothing would ever come out from all this hard work that you're giving.


Five friends have already given up on that dream of becoming a future physician. And to think that they are the ones who embody so much potential of becoming one. It's bittersweet, sad to see a friend leave and quit her long time dream yet happy for them for realizing what they really wanted to do after all this time.
“It wasn’t that my job was too hard or that I wanted to give up, it was that I realized I could live a much bigger, more meaningful life than I was currently living.” [Shelby Earl on why she ditched a successful career to make music]
Many times I too wondered if this really was for me or if I was only brainwashed into thinking that it was. In my case however I work so hard, harder than some even. Staying up several nights, missing out on important events in life, hammering away studying tirelessly and sometimes fruitlessly, until something comes out of it. It's not that I haven't thought this through before applying, I have, many times. It's just that I never thought it would make me miserable most of the time which is the major reason behind all this doubts. I did not nothing but to complain about how hard it was (see my previous blogs). My analogy to a friend was: "It's like going to some unknown place without a map or any navigation in hand, and all the people around you don't know how to speak your language. You also don't know if you're going the right way or if you're ever gonna reach your destination." Basically, it's a huge risk.\\\ Is it worth it?

Strangely enough, right when I'm in the verge of quitting, I'm suddenly reminded about why I'm there (or STILL there) in the first place. [Woops. If you're expecting for some revelatory moment, don't. Ask me about why I pursued medicine, I won't be able to give you a straight answer.] I thought hey, no one was making me be there. And if I wanted, I could just switch paths. However, I didn't. And I was even willing to stay up several nights for it. Which means that I myself really wanted this, that I see this as something really important FOR MY OWN personal growth. I mean, I had my fair share of happy moments too! It wasn't all bad. The feeling of fulfillment that I get from pursuing medicine has trumped over misery and stress. I grew drastically (mentally, emotionally, even physically lol) over just a short period of time and that's what keeps me grounded. Yes, I may be having a pretty tough time in school now but I believe it is a good move for me in the long run. Who knows, this may even be key to my success? Well, it's still too early to tell and I can only hope for a bright future. But for now, I'll stay.

Oh and also, I was born a warrior eh. *Wink wink.*

---
Over christmas break, I was able to finish two dramas and several movies. Just wanted to make short reviews before forgetting the feels.



[KDrama] Fashion King
The worst. First episode and I've received warnings about how terrible the ending was. True enough, the whole drama was pointless. It was anything but fashion. It went from series of unfortunate events to death real quick. It was dark, gloomy and there was probably never a happy scene. Idk. I didn't finish the whole thing and skipped to the last episode which was terrible by the way. Like what is up with that ending? Rating: 4/10

[KDrama] Twenty Again
One of the most memorable scenes here was when the lead, after realizing how her dream of becoming a pro dancer has passed, cried her eyes out because she knew she can never take the time lost back again. Almost 20 years spent as a stay-at-home wife and only when a major event did she realize she had tons of things she wanted to do. Certainly no one wants that to happen and the saying "Live each day like it was your last" is a bit cliché. But the lesson I got here is to value the present as much as the future. On the downside, I felt little to no chemistry from the casts. Rating: 7/10

[KMovie] Twenty
A (really fun) movie I can relate to. It had the same concept as twenty again drama but straightforward. Here we see the life struggles of twenty-somethings and as twenty-something myself, I relate wholeheartedly. One thing I got from the movie is that there are three roads and not just two: (1) follow-your-dreams road, (2) do-something-practical road, and (3) the-free-spirit road. Hands down to Kim Woo Bin, he was the man here. The funny man lol. Rating: 10/10

[JMovie] Flying Colors
I need weekly dose of movies like this, please. The ending was expected but the script was really nice. Tons of quotable quotes from this movie! As expected from a Japanese movie.\\\ I liked it probably because it had a dash of psychology and because I could relate to it. Oh and that metaphor with the egg scene, two thumbs up. The cram teacher was a good speaker too. He just makes you want to study, a lot. Haha. Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment