2 months into Med School

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Just thought of updating the blog world on Ahj's #MedLifeCrisis.


Only 2 months in and I think I've gone through all the possible mood there is. Every single day I find myself so out of it I feel like my brain cells are killing themselves to have a peace of mind.

What worked during undergrad years may not translate to med school.
I don't study much when I was in college. I only pick up a book the night before the test, and usually (but not always) I get good grades still. Med school on the other hand is a bitch. Cramming does not work and believe me I learned that the hard way. Slowly but surely I've learned to adjust my schedule, i.e when we have quiz/exams the next week, I study A WEEK BEFORE. Though it did improve my grades a little, it still wasn't enough to really get high grades. So aside from getting a head start, make sure to really digest EVERYTHING you've read. Eat, sleep and breathe the information. It really takes a lot of understanding and memorizing if you want to get through tests unscathed. But please don't torture yourself. Set time to play and be human again. (I play games and watch series/movies on my tablet during break times)

Tons of group work, I cry.
I'm not afraid to admit that I'm more of a one man team. So it's no surprise that I do poorly when it comes to group/lab works. The reason being is that I tend to think slower compared to others, not because I'm stupid but because I tend to think about things more critically. I'm also really shy and conscious. I care a lot about what other people think and if you know me on a personal level, you'll know I really hate disappointing others. I am thankful though for being surrounded by wonderful groupies who also sidelines as really good friends. I learn a lot from them and they actually are the ones who give me strength (cheesy pero totoo). It's not all bad if you think about it. Group works now would really help in the future. I'll be part of a team later in my chosen field so I better learn to socialize now if I want to survive later.

Not going to turn this into a novel but the prime reason for posting was because last week and especially the week before that I was at my lowest. And I am very happy to say I survived though I didn't think I would. So it just shows that no matter how terrible or suck-y your situation is right now, the sun will rise again tomorrow and who knows what the tides will bring. (Also I have piles of readings to finish so I'll go ahead)


I LEARNED AND WILL SURVIVE.
As long as I don't lose sight of what's ahead, I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment